Friday, July 1, 2011

Best Friends for Life

My best friend called me this morning. 
"What are you doing?" she asked.
"Not much, getting ready to go shopping," I replied.
"Good!  You need to Facebook someone for me."
Now, half of the world's population is on Facebook, but not my best friend.  She refuses.  I have tried to urge her to become one with the world, explaining how fun it is to reconnect with old friends, but she just won't do it.
Anyhow, I settled in front of my computer to do a search for her.  And yes, you guessed right, she wanted me to check out a man she had met.  So after I gave her all the info I could find on this guy, we discussed the situation, and I gave her my advice, which forever after now will be known as Kim's Tips on Men
  1. Once you've expressed your interest, DO NOT CONTACT HIM AGAIN.  Wait until he initiates contact.
  2. Men are HUNTERS.  They like the chase and the pursuit.  DO NOT make it easy for them.
  3. Don't ask questions like "Did you get my e-mail?"  That can sound too needy, demanding, or insecure.  Instead, rephrase questions as statements.  "I sent you an e-mail" (include a smiley face).
  4. Avoid, avoid, avoid the BUT statements.   Do not say things like "I want to see you again but I want to get to know you better first before I travel all the way there."  Instead, say "I do want to see you again.  In the meantime, I would really like to get to know you better.  Maybe we could Skype or something."
After we covered all of my rules, I started wondering why anyone would even want my advice on men.  After all, I've never been married and have had plenty of disastrous relationships.  Then I realized that it wasn't so much about hearing my advice that my best friend wanted.  It was about the connection that we have.  You see, we have known each other since junior high school.  I remember sitting in band class with her, giggling about the guy we thought was cute.  I remember cruising the mall with her in high school, looking for young hotties.  I remember going to see her when she was in college and going to a bar to check out the band member that she had a crush on.  I remember long phone conversations and long letters where we discussed our latest relationships.  Sitting cross-legged on my childhood bed, sipping wine in her living room, talking on our cell phones--one thing that never changes is that we discuss men. 
Will we continue to gab like this until we are old ladies?  I hope so.  Will we continue to talk about men?  Probably.  Will we giggle and carry on like school girls?  Most likely.  We have a connection, and that connection will last as long as we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment